Media Product Review Blog Project- Drake- A Breakdown of "In My Feelings"


Image result for scorpion drake










If you know me personally then you also know I love Drake. I love his music but most importantly I love him. Yes, I am Drake fan girl and unless you've been living under a rock for the past month than at some point you've heard his new single "In My Feelings" from his recently released album Scorpion. The song has been the #1 song in the country, hitting Billboards Top 100 for a fifth week with a record breaking 116.2 million U.S. Streams. It's also arguably become the song of the summer thanks in part by the Shiggy dance craze which created the "In My Feelings Challenge".

Image result for the shiggy dance



Scorpion is Drake's fifth studio album with Young Money Entertainment, Cash Money Records and Republic records following his "Playlist" album More Life which was released March 18, 2017. His new album has sold over a million in sales before CD's were even produced and most likely will be nominated for awards like the Grammy's. Drake has had a track record of being nominated for a Grammy every year since 2010 and becoming the biggest single year winner at Billboard music awards in 2017 by winning 13 awards. His career started as an actor playing "Jimmy" in the old school teenage Canadian show Degrassi, to which he paid homage to in his video "I'm Upset".

Related image


Drake's new album has some similarities to his old projects in the sense that he tries to provide all of his fans with different parts of himself by incorporating songs that are mostly rap like "Elevate" and offsetting them with songs that are sampled with popular music like Maria Carey's "Emotions" in his song "Emotionless" and dance beats like that of "Nice for What" and "In My Feelings". Most artists in his genre tend to stick to just rap or dance music but Drake's ability to both sing and rap has been his forte since the start of his career and is what made him stick out as an artist among his peers. Specifically, in raping and singing about his thoughts and emotions which was pretty much unheard of for a rapper to do. This is why songs like "In My Feelings" are so important in the genre. Not only does the song carry a contagious make you want to dance beat for 3 minutes and 38 seconds but it also makes you think and notice a trend as to how men in our current generation approach love. In the song Drake mentions four different women, Kiki, KB, 'Resha and JT, all to which he feeds the same lines "do you love me? Are you riding? Say you'll never ever leave from beside me, 'Cause I want ya, and I need ya, And I'm down for you always". The song is more so targeted to woman as they can relate to men romantically pursuing them with lines like these and is heavily carried by it's catchy New Orleans bounce dance music as well as smooth hook. 

However what I think goes unnoticed is the actual message the song is delivering by Drake addressing four different women with the same "romantic approach" reinforcing womanizing stereotypes. These are definitely not avoided in the song and are some what attempted to be balanced by a female voice in the track making comments about how he is "trash" and is only interested in his fame and money to which he counteracts with a "you're the only one I love". I think the song is definitely a hit and follows his previous Drakes previous dance hits like that of "Hotline Bling" as it had similar popularity. I think it wont be forgotten in a week because its steady been a number one song and I agree with the Fader in it being "easily the best song on the album (Scorpion)".  Drake's video for the song currently has 55 million views on YouTube and the shiggy dance craze video has almost 7 millions videos. Drake is known to have a strong social media presence in updating his fan base on his new project with 45.2 million followers on Instagram. What's great about Drake as an artists and why I am personally a loyal fan is because he is consistent in providing his fans and the world with new music every year. Most artists take breaks between projects, but Drake has released new music every year whether it's a mixtape project, album or feature. I enjoy listening to music on Apple Music and use the service to stream Drake's albums, my friends listen to the same music I do and combine playlists to share new music. After Drake released Scorpion I received mixed reviews from them about his album, more so because it's a double album and had too much content to break down, however "In My Feelings" was never debated to be an iffy song. 

There is no doubt that Drake is one of the most successful artist in the past decade and by the looks of his pace will continue to produce quality music for years to come. For those of you who have been living under a rock below is a link to Drake's new "In My Feelings". I guarantee it will make you dance but most importantly I hope it gets you thinking about womanizing stereotypes and what is now a days considered a normal "romantic approach" and how as a society we need to stop normalizing it, sure it doesn't help that the song popularizes it but we can all start with having a conversation about the issue. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 3 Big Data

Social Media & The Internet